Friday, January 25, 2008

Let me set the scene:
I was walking home today from class for lunch. It was probably around 1245. The streets were pretty busy because everyone was going home for lunch. I was probably about 5 blocks from my house when I see these 3 boys, probably middle school age, coming toward me with their bottles of water. They were staring intently at me. I knew EXACTLY what was about to happen. They stopped and started to count: "Uno.... Dos..." When they got to "dos", I went "nooooo" and tried to get to MY water bottle to maybe scare them off. Alas! I was not quick enough. Before I knew what happened, they reached "tres" and proceeded to dump their water on me- my hair, shoulders, chest- all wet. I guess I knew it would happen eventually before Carnival, but I think I had a little bit of hope in me that maybe, just maybe, I would be the one person it DIDN'T happen to. I guess I'm fully initiated now. Bienvenidos a Ecuador! (Welcome to Ecuador!)  [It really wasn't THAT terrible- it was rather hot out today, so I guess in some ways, it could have been considered refreshing. It's just the principle behind it, you know? ;)  ]

Sunday, we are going to Ingapirca, a place where there are Incan ruins, I think. So hopefully on Monday I will have some sweet pictures to put up. 

I showed my host family my album of family pictures. They think our family is very beautiful. (Of course, they do; We are a beautiful family ;)  ) 



No comments: