Friday, February 29, 2008

La Selva

As promised, I am now going to tell you what I found out at our jungle meeting Wednesday. Oh, I'm SOOO excited!!

We leave next Thursday at 730 in the morning. We're flying from Cuenca to Quito, then from Quito to a city named Coca. From Coca, I believe we're taking a bus for a couple hours somewhere, and THEN we get to take a boat to our final destination! We're staying on a hotel-boat ON THE AMAZON RIVER. How amazing is that! The director of programs took the trip last week to make sure it was decent (because we're the first group to do this), and he said everything was wonderful. We got to see pictures of the boat we'll be staying on-- super nice. It has 2 or 3 stories, nice rooms, HOT WATER (oh, Praise the Lord), really good food, and a great staff. We'll have the boat to ourselves, so that's pretty sweet. Each day, we get to go on hikes through the rain forest and get to meet the people that live there and see all the wildlife-- a biologist's dream (oh snap- that's my major!). We will have a really good guide; he knows 7 languages- geez louise... of course he knows all about the jungle too. Our hotel-boat is going to move (maybe that's obvious, but just in case you couldn't figure it out) so we'll be in different locations everyday. We go on some night hikes, go piranha fishing (!!!), and go out looking for caimans (those are like black alligators) at night too. Oh man, I'm going to the jungle in less than a week!!!!!! How many people can say they've done that in their life? What an amazing opportunity.

This whole Ecuador experience has really taught me to pack light- 2 suitcases for 4 months, and now we only get a backpack for 5 days. I'll work it out-- only the necessities (I don't have much more than that anyway ;)   ).  

I only have one more Spanish class left, then my final and a presentation about what I've been doing at Miguel Leon on Tuesday, then I'm done with this cycle of classes! I'm taking 2 biology classes next cycle (Environmental Studies of the Andes and Conservation Biology) and a Latin American history class. I'm going to try to continue helping at Miguel Leon but probably won't be able to do it as much. The nuns and I are getting pretty close ;)

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for clarifying that your boat will move:) Tera might have needed that clarification;) Good luck on your presentation! Have fun in the jungle--maybe you'll fall in love with Tarzan!

startsinmynose said...

hey now....uncalled for sister jen....are you guys gonna have handlers? i heard it can be pretty dangerous from a girl i work with....im very jealous. and so is jae. she wants to go on 'vacation'-(likes it just that simple)

Unknown said...

I am very glad you and the nuns are getting along. :) I am so jealous. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time. Be safe!!