Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Current Events

Sooooooo, I don't know if you have been following world news (or South American news) lately, but there are currently some relatively high tensions between Ecuador and Colombia due to the fact that some Colombians crossed the Ecuadorian border to kill 17 members of the FARC (Colombian extremist/ terrorist group) including the second-in-command. So it's a rather big deal, and it's a pretty interesting situation because the United States is backing Colombia (because we're in the middle of a new trade agreement with them). President Correa (the Ecuadorian president) is very anti- U.S., and even more so now. Anyway, Ecuadorian troops have been moved to the border as a precaution, but Colombia has not done anything as of yet (besides their initial breach of sovereignty). How does this affect me? In Cuenca, it really doesn't. Cuenca is quite far to the south of the Ecuador-Colombia border, so we're safe here. BUT, the place we were planning to go to in the jungle was in northern Ecuador. As of yesterday, we had moved our trip to a location about 50 miles south of the original location. Well, today was when we got the sad news: our jungle trip is being postponed until the beginning of April because the U.S. embassy advised Americans to keep a low profile and not travel in the north. Man, I was SOOOOOOOOO excited and so ready to go tomorrow! I'm glad it hasn't been cancelled completely, but I hope that it actually works out in April, or I will be ticked. 

Anyway, that's what's going on. I'm not going to the jungle tomorrow and don't know what I'm going to do with my long weekend now. It'll be fine ;)

5 comments:

startsinmynose said...

oh dear. dont travel alone!! i dont care where you are! maybe you should get some dirt and rub it on your white skin so you can look more like a native... :)

Unknown said...

Bummer Ali!! Well, this is your time to shine as an ambassador for the United States. Make us proud!:)I agree, rub dirt on your face.

rhonda said...

We are praying for you. It is exciting to hear all the new experiences and opportunities you are having. Keep shining for HIM<><

Unknown said...

okay, so the trip getting cancelled is a bummer. however, i dont think ya should be too upset - better cancellation of trip that of YOU;)

Unknown said...

Hi Ali, Your uncle Mark has been following the news in South America. Sorry about the canceled trip, but we would all rather have you safe. Here is a rule that I have always followed in boating,"I would rather be on land wishing I was out on the water, then be out on the water, wishing I was on land". I think this applies to your situation. Take care! I have read all your blogs about 3 times. I love your creativity. Post more pictures! Uncy Mark