Thursday, May 15, 2008

Peruvian beaches

Well, after a lengthy "blog break", I will now commence the final chapter of my South American journeys. 

Our first beach stop had a great location- a good amount of beach-front property, a nice pool, pretty secluded. We went swimming when we got there. In case you weren't aware, I don't have the greatest swimming skills (I failed swimming lessons when I was little, if that's any indication ;)   ). I mean, I can stay afloat and get around; I'm just not the best at all the strokes. Anyway, we get in the water and first of all, there were TONS of rocks, and not just little pebbles-- I'm talking boulders. Combine that with a really strong current. Ouch. Needless to say, I didn't stay in for too long. I managed to escape relatively unscathed, but some of the people in my group came out with some scratches and bruises. This hotel had some serious potential (like I said- great location and some amenities), but the rooms had some need for improvement, and boy did we ever find that out when night fell. COCKROACHES IN OUR ROOM!! Ew ew ew ew ew. And a multitude of other crawling creatures. So bugs- maybe I could handle that (maybe not- I woke up every couple hours expecting to be covered with insects. ick). But it didn't stop with bugs- oh no. There was a MOUSE in our room. Yes- a mouse. Running around by our open suitcases. I don't know how, but somehow we (and when I say "we", I mean "Kate", one of my roommates) managed to shoo it out of the room. Like I said, I didn't sleep well that night.

We left the next morning for Huanchaco, another beach town. Oh, our accommodations were infinitely better than the last ones, namely because they were minus the bugs and mouse. We had a little balcony that overlooked the pool and just had to walk across the street to get to the beach. We stayed there two nights. The weather was perfect- sunny but breezy. We got a little beach time when we first got there, but it was cloudy and cool, so no tans were really gotten. The next morning we went to see a bunch of really cool ruins. It was quite sunny, so I managed to get myself the worse (and most obvious) tanlines two weeks before having to wear a strapless dress for Leah's wedding. Good planning, I know ;) A group of young dancers (I want to say early high school age and younger) came to our hotel one night after we ate and put on a show of native dances for us. They were amazing. Wow. Unfortunately, my camera was back in my room.

I'll add pictures to this later. I need to mow the lawn at some point today.
This may be a two- or three- entry series (the ones about Peru), and then maybe more pictures; we'll see how I'm feeling. 

No comments: