Thursday, March 20, 2008

merely musing

So I don't really have anything new to report on the Ecuador-front... I don't really know what I'm doing this weekend. My host family has gone back and forth quite a few times on whether we're going to Yunguilla (the place we went for Carnaval), so I figure hopefully tonight I'll find out if we're going anywhere tomorrow; I'm flexible ;) Other than that, there is the fact that I GOT A PACKAGE TODAY FROM MY PARENTS!!! I'm not sure if you can quite comprehend how excited I was/ still am for that. I get super excited in the States when I receive a letter or package, but something about being in Ecuador multiplies that by like a million--- maybe it's the altitude ;) I figure that since we blame a lot of things on the altitude here, I might as well add that to the list.

Anyway, I've been thinking a good amount lately. I have found that my walks to and from school are excellent times to do just that. The past couple days it has really sunk in how amazingly fortunate I am. There are, of course, a myriad of people and things I have to be thankful for, but it was one specific thing lately. How incredible is it to be able to say that Someone gave His life for you?! Like, seriously- would you live your life differently if you knew that the only reason you were alive was because someone (say- your friend or brother or sister or dad or mom) gave their life for you? Just take a second and really think about that. What LOVE that would require- someone valuing YOUR life more than their own. And it's not hypothetical. It really did happen. Jesus Christ took on MY sins (everyone's sins) and gave His life for ME so that I can have eternal life with Him. THAT is the definition of being TRULY ALIVE- having eternal life. Just the magnitude of His love blows me away. I'm so ashamed to say that I don't think about this as often as I should (daily)- it was brought to mind by the holiday that is fast approaching- the celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection. It first entered my head one day when I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, missing my family and home (yes that really has happened- it's not easy being on a different continent). All the sudden the fact that Christ DIED for ME came to mind, and it just made my pity party seem so silly. Yes, those feelings were real, but it's hard to stay sad when you think on the marvelous gift we've been given- all we have to do is accept it. 

...just a look into my thoughts as of late- perhaps a bit disjointed and maybe not the most eloquent, but so real. I hope you all realize just how utterly blessed we are to have Someone love us that much; and if you don't, take some time to think about it.

Thought this picture was perfect. It was taken in Quito, I believe... or one of the places we went in our first week.

1 comment:

startsinmynose said...

we ARE so lucky....and its easy to forget that God sent His son.....bc we are selfish, and are sinners....but dont be so hard on yourself-being far away and in your position, i.e. away from your favorite sister (me ;)) is no easy/fun task.... i love you!!!